Friday, November 16, 2007

Luke 12

And someone from the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to apportion with me the possession." But he said to him, "Man, who appointed me a judge or divider between you?" And he said to them, "Watch out and be wary from all covetousness because in having more than enough, his life is not consisting in his possessions.

A young man called out to Jesus from the crowd and said, “Teacher, command the trustee of my father’s will to give me my share of the inheritance!” Jesus replied, “I am not a lawyer or a judge—why should I get involved?” Then Jesus told everyone, “Guard yourself from every form of trying to get more in the world. When you finally get everything you want and more, then you finally realize too late that stuff is not what life is about.”

And he told a parable to them, saying, "The land of a wealthy man produced well and he considered in himself, saying, 'What should I do because I don't have a place to gather my produce?' And he said, 'I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones and there I will gather all my gain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods stored up for many years. Relax, eat, drink and be merry." ' But God said to him, "Idiot! This night your soul is required of you. So whose is what you have prepared?' Thus is he who stores up for himself but is not rich toward God."

“There was an entrepreneur who ran his own business. One year, he did exceptionally well, and found that his business had outgrown his little store. So he was contemplating what he would do with his surplus profit, so, talking to himself, he said, “I know! I will rent a larger store, hire a couple of employees and the business will practically run itself! Then, over a few years I will have a tidy nest egg stored up and I’ll say to myself, “You have found the good life. Now it’s time to relax, and enjoy your retirement.”’ In that instant, however, God’s voice spoke to the man, “You are such an idiot. This very night your life is to be taken from you. So who will enjoy what you are planning?” This is what happens to a person who works for himself and his family, but who never gives to God by giving to the poor.”

Don't be afraid, little flock, because your Father has delighted to give to you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the needy, and you give to yourselves a purse that does not wear out, a treasure never decreasing in heaven where a thief does not come near nor a moth destroys. For where our treasure is, there also is your heart."

Don’t be afraid to surrender your possessions, my dear students. You Father has happily determined that you are to have the whole kingdom of God—what do you need of useless trinkets? Go ahead and sell your stuff and give freely to those in need. Then you will have a savings that you can never use up, and is much safer than a bank, a mattress or your penny-pinching aunt. God will preserve it for you. But take this proposal seriously, and don’t blow it off—because what you use your money on is what you are devoting yourself to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home